Monday, January 26, 2009

The day I learned Boy knows math

Math tends to come easy to people in my family. Not that I'm trying to brag or anything. I have plenty of faults. I can't read or comprehend any kind of legal paperwork, but I can do math in my head. We were visiting some friends of ours recently. They have 2 kids, around the same ages as my kids. They also have a playroom. Anyone with kids knows that any kind of new toy becomes a bit of an obsession. Just this weekend I stopped and picked up a Little Tykes ride-on toy off the side of the road. It had a free sign on it, I figured I'd grab it. The price was right. It's the little one with the roof and doors that open. I came home late Sunday night and I threw it in the playroom. Today, the kids can't stay away from it. It's old, but it's new to us so it has the sheen of something never played with. Girl spent the morning in it. When Boy came home from school he took over. He sat in it to watch TV. He sat in it to eat his lunch. He sat in it to annoy his sister. Alpha male. So when we go to a new house with kids, it's as if their house is filled with all brand new things. New to him, at least. It's like looking in the fridge after Mommy goes food shopping. Ooooh, look at all the options. Hot Pockets, String cheese, potato chips. Anyway, we gotta get going home from our friends house at this point. It's late, we've spent too much time there. Boy, we gotta go. Please go use the bathroom. Nothing. Ignored. Boy, please go to the bathroom. Nothing. We also have excellent selective hearing in my family. I'll make a deal. Boy, if you go to the bathroom, you can have 2 more minutes of playtime. Shrewd negotiation I think. At age 5, everything is either an argument or a negotiation. Put your socks on. Buy me a lego. Brush your teeth. I'm watching Mythbusters. Eat your dinner. I want cake. I try to think like a 5-year-old, so I figure the 2 minutes of play to use the bathroom might work. Then he comes out with a counter. If I go to the bathroom 2 times, can I play for 4 more minutes? The adults kind of looked at each other. Did he just do multiplication at 5 years old? Absolutely. I hate lawyers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Multiplication at five? Sure, why not. Next will be long division at six, algebra at eight, geometry at nine, and diffe-q at ten.

Is it too early to get him a slide rule and a pocket protector?