Monday, October 08, 2007

Birthday Dinner

Well Boy turned 4. I've always had a tradition growing up that when it's your birthday you get to decide what the family has for dinner. No questions asked. So I ask Boy. What would you like for your birthday dinner? Pie. With cake for dessert. As a lover of pie, I couldn't be happier. Mommy and I had wedding pies instead of cake. There are endless directions we can go in there being infinite configurations of pie. Savory meat pie. Fruit pies. Endless. I could go on for pages. Sounds good to me. Boy says, no, wait. Sushi. I want sushi for my birthday dinner. Now, Boy is turning 4, not 34. That sounds good too. I'm really not sure if he actually likes sushi or if he likes the novelty of the sushi experience. Soy sauce. Salty. Pickled ginger. Spicy. Wasabi. Too spicy. Chopsticks. He's actually kind of got it figured out. So we go and pick up the sushi at our take-out place. Boy comes in with me. He tells the man, it's my birthday. Good for you, happy birthday. I'm 4. Wow, 4, that's a big birthday. Nice guy. Then Boy says, I'm going to eat sushi. We get the package home and Boy does what he says he's gonna do. A first in our house. We ordered a couple with raw fish and a couple just vegetables and a shrimp tempura. All rolls. He starts shoving food into his face, he's got 2 pieces in there at once. Not the vegetable stuff, either. The raw fish stuff. Mommy asks if he should he be eating all that raw fish? Neither one of us is too sure. So we push the veggie rolls. He shovels them too. He's talking with a big smile. Mouth full of rice. I was actually a little hungry at the end of the meal as I didn't order enough food. This kid doesn't fool around. He eats sushi, lobster, ribs, all the good stuff. Needless to say I'm very proud. We next ate celebratory birthday cupcakes and opened presents.

No comments: