Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Barrettes are not cheaper than haircuts

I don't believe in cutting Baby Girl's hair. Mommy talked me into giving her hair a trim once about a year ago. It will keep it out of her eyes she says. I know it's silly, but I was disappointed for a week. Not to mention we're now months behind in growing it out, so really it just prolonged how much time her hair is in her eyes. Mommy disputes this point. So anyway, Girl's hair is getting long which creates hair situations. A 2-year old isn't exactly the neatest when it comes to paint, food and the such. Things get in there. So we must do something to get her hair away from her face. Now, getting some sort of hair accessory into a 2-year-old's hair is difficult. She doesn't sit still for anything. We have tried many different things. Clips, bobby pins. Well, let's be honest, here's where my knowledge of little girl's hair basically ends. I'm not sure I even know what a bobby pin is. So I must trust those in the know. Namely, Mommy. And she tells me that after the exhaustive research of hair products sold at the Claire's in the mall, that the best solution is these little clips she's found at some random little baby clothes boutique a half an hour away. You squeeze them to open. Let go to close. (Mommy note: they are called alligator clips) Pretty intuitive. Especially with a squirming child. I've only poked her in the eye once or twice. They stay on her head pretty well, when she is not being funny pulling them out. They fall off after a certain amount of play anyway, but luckily they are easy to put back in. If you can find them. Mommy keeps buying more as we lose them. I keep randomly finding them around the house. Mommy gets excited every time. It's like I'm finding a Jim Rice rookie baseball card the way she reacts. Different colors and patterns elicit different levels of excitement.

Here's where it gets difficult. These things are not easy to find. Mommy calls the store she buys them from her "supplier". She has spent somewhere between $50 and $100. At least that's what I've been told, which makes me think we're closer to $200 at this point. We, of course, have to have them for all the different outfits. Rainbow stripes. Bright green plaid. White for spring. Yes, they are all quite adorable. Now, I'm a dude, so I immediately think to myself, wouldn't it be easier to just buy 10 black ones to go with everything? Not to mention the black won't show the crap she gets in her hair. I'm learning to keep these thoughts to myself. Now the store (The supplier) goes out of business. Why wouldn't it? This, of course, causes all sorts of commotion. (It's like when my favorite Design markers were discontinued. The ones with the aluminum bodies and Xylene in them) Now the Gramdmothers get involved. Finally, Grammy finds a place at her mall that has them. They cost 6 bucks for 2. I think one of them has Hello Kitty on it. Problem is, she thinks the dude at the kiosk swindled her out of a 20. So really, they cost 16 bucks. She didn't have it in her to argue. Really, it just adds to the mystique of Girl's barrettes. So now, there's no way I'm ever allowing any sort of cute haircut. I'm in way too deep.

No comments: