Tuesday, June 19, 2007

You sit at a restaurant

Boy sees the Dunkin' Donuts logo on the outdoor signs a good half mile before I do. That kid loves munchkins. Who doesn't? Usually the nice people at D&D provide the boy with free munchkins. Keep 'em comin' people. We have a pretty consistent routine. 3 munchkins for Boy. Various flavors. We encourage independent decision-making. Hot coffee with milk & one sugar for me. Occasionally I'll add a glazed donut. I could eat those things everyday if they weren't less than good for you. One day we went to the neighborhood D&D to grab a quick coffee. Auntie & Nephew were on their way over so I didn't have much time. Boy says he wants to go. I enjoy the D&D bonding so I say "what the heck". Put some pants and shoes on and let's hit the road. Oh, our house is apparently pants-optional. That's a whole other story. I get to the counter and place my coffee order. I look at Boy. He orders the donut with the chocolate frosting and sprinkles. Manager's special. I think that it's out of character, but OK, nice call. Make that two I say. He then turns around and walks to the cooler, grabs a bottle of chocolate milk and takes a seat in the back. We have a pretty good routine, get the coffee and munchkins and hit the road. What's going on here? For some reason, today is a restaurant day. He doesn't want to hit the road. Let's sit in the restaurant he says. The stray stools in the back of the shop aren't really a restaurant, but OK. Honestly, I have zero control. We sit until he finishes every bite of that donut. Half an hour. Mine was done in about thirty seconds. Then he falls asleep in the car on the way home. It's not like we have nothing to do. Plan ahead, kid. A rule has been established this day. Munchkins are to go. Donuts are for sit down. It helps for Sunday planning.

No comments: